Saturday, August 30, 2008

August 30, 2008

Got a major headache right now. Bad enough that I can't really work on anything for lack of concentration. Need to go veg in front of the TV. :)

Kids are ready to go to school. Or, I'm ready for them to go. It's been a very relaxing summer (for them) as we haven't placed a lot of demands on them, mainly due to our own crazy schedules. I'll be glad to get some structure back in their lives.

Isaak has made a group of buddies that come over almost daily to play. They're all a bit nerdy, themselves. It can get quite loud and obnoxious around here when they're here, but despite being complete dweebs, we're glad he's made some friends on his own. I suppose it's progress.

Lil' Audra is excited to go back to school ONLY because she wants to be with her school friends again. Isaak is nervous about middle school, but we've prepared him as best we can. He will meet his high school math teacher on Tuesday. I'm nervous about that class as, and I have NO idea who came up with this idea!, the high school has NO WALLS. That's right, classes are all in large wings with around 4 classes sharing a space, separated by portable dividers or file cabinets. They call it an "open learning environment." Huh? How is THAT suppose to contribue to the better learning of the students, ANY students, let alone students like Isaak. So, we'll see how that goes. There are no other options other than going back into individual lessons on a computer like he's done for the past year and a half. I'd really like to see him back in a classroom learning situation, so I hope this works out.

Anyway, that's about it. We have a new niece in the family who we are anxious to get up to Seattle to see soon. And my parents are due back on the continent (after a year and a half mission to the Caribbean; hard life, eh?) in the beginning of October. That will be fun!


Here's Isaak's baseball picture...


4 comments:

Susan M said...

I probably already told you this, but my elementary school in Kent was "open concept" like that. One large circular room with smaller classroom settings around the perimeter, but all open to each other. For grades 5 and 6. We moved around the circle for different subjects.

Elijah started high school last week.

Sarah said...

I can't wait to see you guys! I love the recordings of the kids.

Penny said...

Wow... I need to check in more often. I didn't realize you were posted more often. Very cool.

Regina Todd said...

Did I ever tell you that your parents are serving in Derek's old mission? When we saw their picture in the Ensign Derek couldn't believe they were there... I think he was jealous. He said the senior couples made such a huge impact on him as a young missionary. Someday he will take me there!!

Regina Todd