Thursday, April 24, 2008

Isaak's Essay

Isaak wrote an "essay" for a contest to throw out the first pitch at Autism Awareness night with the Mariners in a couple weeks. This is what he wrote (no direction or editing by anyone):



How Autism Affects Me
By Isaak Jensen
For the Autism Awareness Night at Safeco Field Contest (or whatever it is)

Well, to me, autism is a social disorder that affects my senses slightly. Sometimes when someone asks me a question, I sometimes not listen to the question and say, “Wha…?” I can see pretty well, though, but sometimes, probably because of the pills my doctor has asked me to take, my vision gets all blurry and weird. My skin is sensitive, and I actually don’t like sweets such as chocolate. I even threw up in a cafĂ© that got burned down later. I think it was because of customer satisfaction.
But autism didn’t affect just that. Sometimes when things don’t go my way, I get all stressed out keep convincing people to change. But I’m sure that this isn’t that important. Speaking of important, I think some things are more important than others. Sometimes I get a little curious and play with some things. One time when I was little, I shoved a penny up my nose! I might get a little nervous if I would throw the First Pitch or some other big event because I could mess up something like that.
But overall, I think autism was just a particular gift that gave me a challenge in life. Maybe I’m just born with the talent. Maybe, just maybe, I’m a powerful kind of guy who, in the future, can show why that we need just some attention. Maybe we just want respect from others. Maybe we could just stand up for ourselves and just be a true nation with different talents and stuff. After all, we’re just ourselves, that’s all.

5 comments:

Debbie Parry said...

Dear Isaak and Audra,
What a wonderful essay! Thanks so much for sharing it. Your words were very heartfelt. You deserve to throw that first pitch, and certainly have my vote!

Fondly,
Mrs. Parry

Penny said...

Hi Isaak...

Every time I read what you write, I learn a whole lot, and this time was no different. I forget that you are autistic sometimes... especially when we play Dogopoly. Did you beat me the last time?

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with Mrs. Parry... you deserve to throw that first pitch.

All of us have some pretty big challenges in life, and one day I think yours will be your strength and you will be able to help or at least understand when someone comes along who needs understanding. You will know what it feels like. (Look up the word empathy.) You will have empathy toward that person, which is different from sympathy.

Did you know that when your Dad was a little boy, he used to be curious and play with things too? Ask him if that's true!

I love you soooo much,
Grandma J

Amber Mitchell said...

Isaak, your essay is awesome. I give it 10 out of 10!

Love from Aunt Amber

steph said...

You are a talented writer too. You'd better warm up your arm for that pitch.

AMB said...

Love the essay. My favorite part is the suggestion that the cafe might have been burned down by a less-than-satisfied customer!