Wednesday, July 30, 2008

July 30, 2008

We had planned on watching some friends' kids overnight last weekend since their mom was out of town. Twins Isaak's age and a boy Audra's age. Great friends of ours. Dad was bringing them over in the evening. Well, we get a call from him that night that they had to take their cat to the vet because it had gotten run over. They'd be late. Then, they called a couple hours later. Dad said they were on their way, but they had had to put the cat down. The kids still needed to come because Dad couldn't get out of work in the morning. It was so sad! I opened the door to three very sad kids who had just had to say good-bye to a beloved pet! The twins were the only ones to stay (Audra's friend stayed with dad), but I did my best to cheer them up and keep them busy.

It was a great opportunity, actually, for my kids to see grieving, talk about it, and be a part of that process. We had some good discussions before, during, and after. And, in the end, the kids perked up, and we had an awesome time together.

Taking lil' Audra to get allergy testing tomorrow. Sadly, I think she's got 'em! Didn't have much of a chance with the two parents of hers so pathetically blowing their nose half the year.

My favorite thing right now: Playing Halo with my family before bed. I'm the worst player in the family now. Yup, even the little one can beat me.

What I'm looking forward to the most right now: This Friday, the fourth book of the Twilight series comes out (http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/) and some friends and I are going to the late-night coming out party at Barnes and Noble. I can't wait! I'm totally addicted.

I love Edward.

1 comment:

Penny said...

Interesting. Great-grandma has always said that it is a good idea for a child to attend a funeral of someone they are not real close to, so it will prepare them if/when they lose someone significant in their life. A pet's death would kind of help too. It's so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Let us know how little A did at the allergist.

I might read the next Twilight book if you think it's worthy, but I'm not buying the hardback -- I'll wait for the paperback becomes available.

Nice to see you updated your blog.