Sunday, October 11, 2009

October 11, 2009

Not such a hot week for me...

  • Very full work week, which isn't such a bad thing were it not for...
  • Caught a nasty virus that turned into bronchitis. Sound like I have croup (is that how it's spelled?). Not sleeping well, feel like poo, was not getting any better. Finally went to doc and got some happy drugs. Feel better when those are in me.
  • My thumb drive got broken off when it was in my laptop. It had all my edits for my book and notes from my publisher's conversation. Hours of research and work not easily reproduced possibly down the drain. I cried. I never cry. I'm more upset at how stupid I was. I know better than to not back up my work regularly. I know better! Anyway, I've had it sent into some data recovery place in California. We'll see. Stupid stupid stupid.

Well, I guess that's all the bummer stuff. Not the end of the world. I have wonderful family and great friends, and it all works out. I was just thinking the other day how cool my kids are and how much I like hanging out with them. We really have a good time. They are easy to parent (for now) and cooperative and fun and laid back. Our house is generally very peaceful and is only loud and obnoxious when certain friends come over to hang. But, I'm fine with that. I wanted to have "that house" when I grew up; you know, the one all the kids go to to hang out? I'd rather have them all come here, make a mess, and be loud than to have my kids always gone. So, I have "that house" now, at least for Isaak's friends, and I love it! And I love that he HAS friends that want to come hang out. It's so cool! We just took him to see his pychiatrist. Decided to decrease his meds since he's doing so well. He had almost nothing to say to us. He's doing so well!

Anyway, totally rambling, but I got a post out this week! Woo-hoo!

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I'll pray for your data to be recovered. That stinks! I'm glad you have the loud house. :)

Penny said...

We love you Audra K Malmrose Jensen. You are the best and I will also pray for your drive. When you called to tell Mike about it, later he said, "I never see my wife cry."

I wish Sarah would hurry up and get a "that house". We need to spread out the holiday and party work load. She owes us.

AMB said...

ohhhh...I'm sorry about your data. :( I'm hope you are feeling better soon. Love you!

Jenny said...

Hi Audra,



I just wanted to thank you for writing 'When Babies Read' a few years ago. I own a copy and find it invaluable, and I regularly refer to it to be able to best support my 6 year old. Although my son may or may not meet the definition of hyperlexia, he did have an obsession with letters and numbers. Before he could talk, he could count the steps -16 of them - of our staircase at around 18 months. He reads and spells words like 'patronage' on his own. He is currently asking me several questions about Chinese characters...and we are not Chinese.



Thank you for publishing something so important to me. Your book clarifies that kids like my son can learn if presented with material conducive to their learning style. We are struggling now, but hopeful we are handling challenges appropriately. I do not have an educational background so your advice regarding teachers, schools, and parental involvement are again invaluable.



Many thanks.
Jenny, Toronto